[bksvol-discuss] scanning

Cindy

I'm scanning Arizona Embrace by Leigh Greenwood.

Denise

At 03:11 AM 9/19/2009, you wrote:
Hi Misha,

        I have found that if I put a space before the letter in the replace
box, words don't get run together.  If you replace the paragraph mark
followed by a lower case letter with nothing except a letter, words get run
together.

Just a suggestion.

Mayrie

-----Original Message-----
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 11:56 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: formatting question

If you are using Word, the ^p will find paragraph marks.  The way I have
done this takes twenty-six find and replaces plus occasional by hand
correction.  Since sentences don't usually begin with a lower case letter,
in find put ^p then a letter and just the letter in the replace box.  That
gets rid of most of the extra paragraph marks.  You will still have extra
paragraph marks where there is a word that is capitalized like a name in the
middle of a sentence, but there is one of these extra paragraph marks in
front of it.  For a sighted person, it is usually pretty easy to scan
through the book and notice these remaining paragraphs that start in the
middle of a sentence.  I didn't invent the technique, I got it from someone
else on this discussion list.  Oh, and of course, as Bob said, make backups
first.

Or, you can reject the book with the reason being the paragraph marks after
every line.  At the least, if the scanner left contact info you should tell
him or her of the problem.

Misha