[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:23:42 -0500

Louise,  provided you have a machine equipped with USB 2.0,  scanning in
grayscale on 1660 or 3170 is as fast as scanning using static
thresholding,  which means 9 seconds per page for Kurzweil and 13 seconds
per page using Openbook,   assuming 300 DPI.  If your PC has only USB 1.1,
 grayscale and automatic thresholding will be slow,  like with any other
scanner.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/27/2004 03:58 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

Old technology isn't always bad technology. <g> I love my old HP scanner.
haven't timed it with a clock, but have used the 1 1000 2 1000 3 1000
method
and it certainly is not more than 13 seconds to scan something even legal
sized.

I am wondering if I will buy a new scanner if they come out with something
legal sized, or if I will use this one until it dies.  It certainly has
earned it's keep, and I don't think I could stand to let it sit unused if
it
still worked.  I just never seem to get arround to buying the new SCSI
card
I need, and i am afraid they won't exist anymore when I really need one.

How fast is the Epson 1660 when scanning in grey scale?  That is the only
time mine gets kind of slow, but it is still only about 20 seconds.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net