[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:27:03 -0400

Thanks Guido.
I'm usually a patient person when it comes to spending money, and baseball season goes through October.
I have to admit though, that sometimes when I catch that 4 lettered word 'sale' I can be suckered. A case in point was the portable Canon scanner I got last summer to take on vacation. The scans were reminiscent of the KRM model 400, and the resulting scans I made were so bad I won't even consider uploading them to Bookshare.

Dave

At 09:57 AM 5/27/2004, you wrote:

EPSON appears to have run out of refurb 1660s. Next opportunity for a real deal on a scanner of the same speed may come after the summer, when the 3170 may be discontinued.
Best thing is to check periodically the EPSON clearence center at:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/StoreRefurb.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Guido

Guido D. Corona IBM Accessibility Center, Austin Tx. IBM Research, Phone: (512) 838-9735 Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx Sent by: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

05/27/2004 08:37 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

Hi Sharon,

I would love to get my hands on a 1660, even a refurbished one.  Freedom
Scientific's web site clocks the 1660 at about 13 seconds a page, while the
Epson 1250 I'm using right now comes in at about 47 seconds.  I've even
gotten to the point where I have considered finding a SCSI card for my
system in order to hook up my HP 4P again.  I have to say though, that I'm
a big fan of USB, and even though the 4P was a work horse, I'm not too
interested in hooking it up to my new system, although it did do legal
sized documents.  Of the scanners tested with Openbook, the Epson 1660 came
in the second fastest, only being surpassed by the Canon DR-5020, which
comes in at 2.3 seconds a page.  Somehow, I imagine the Canon might be on
the pricey side.

Dave

At 07:55 AM 5/27/2004, you wrote: >I, too, use Epson. My home scanner is a 2400 model while my work scanner is >a 1660. Both are great and I do not think I would return to an HP Scanner. > >Sharon >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <rhod3021@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 11:28 PM >Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner > > > > I like my Epson, smile, and the only scanner the State Agency in PA at >least > > the Erie office is buying right now. > > > > The Epson 1660 can have a opage done a lot quicker than 25 seconds. > > > > > > Shelley L. Rhodes and Judson, guiding golden > > juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx > > > > "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can > > spare. > > And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever > > made" - M. Facklam > > > > > > > > > > > >