[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:13:02 -0500

Oops,  there are two big RED/RED/RED flags in the blurb you posted on the
Visioneer 9000 scanner:

1.  This is likely a slow scanner at 25 seconds per page.

2.  Even worse,  Openbook is not able to set brightness for this scanner.
This means that if the scan/reco results are poor,  there is almost no way
for you to improve them.

I would suggest you look at a different device!  EPSON 2400 at $99 refurb
ain't a bad deal!

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
05/26/2004 10:15 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner

The info on supported scanners for Openbook V5 and above is at:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/openbooksl5.asp

The following is the excerpt taken from this page regarding the
Visioneer OneTouch 9000 scanner.

• This scanner was tested using OneTouch v3.0 drivers.
Test Results:
• Is scanning free of any external dialogs?  No.  An external TWAIN dialog

displays during scanning.  This dialog does not display in Windows XP or
ME if
the WIA driver is available and selected, but you must manually select the

WIA driver.  This external dialog hides the OpenBook dialog that displays
OpenBook's
scanning/OCR progress.  The external dialog automatically closes and focus

returns to OpenBook after scanning is complete. The external dialog may
also
interfere with canceling a scan and background scanning.
• Can this scanner scan a legal-sized document?  No, there is no way to
scan legal-sized documents.  The scanner does not have an automatic
document feeder
(ADF), and the scanning area is only 11.7 inches long.
• Using this scanner, can a user change the scanning contrast from within
OpenBook?  No.  Contrast cannot be altered using OpenBook.
• Using this scanner, can a user cancel scanning from within
OpenBook?  Yes, scanning can be canceled through OpenBook. However, due to

the external TWAIN
dialog that displays, you may need to press ALT+TAB to display OpenBook's
scanning dialog and then activate the Cancel button.  Alternatively,
activate
the Cancel button on the external TWAIN dialog first, and then cancel the
scan through OpenBook. In either case, you must activate the Cancel button
in
both dialogs. If you use WIA drivers, you only need to activate the Cancel

button in the OpenBook scanning dialog.
• Can this scanner scan in the background?  Yes. However, using the TWAIN
drivers causes an external dialog to display.  You can instruct OpenBook
read
the document, begin scanning in the background, ALT+TAB back to OpenBook,
and then start reading again. Alternatively, you can begin scanning in the

background,
then ALT+TAB back to OpenBook, and then begin reading.  Using WIA drivers
in Windows XP or ME does not display an external dialog, so you can scan
in the
background normally.
• Did this scanner pass the 500 page stress test?  Yes.  This scanner was
able to handle the stress of continuous scanning.
• How long does this scanner take to scan a page using OpenBook’s default
settings?  This scanner's average scan time with OpenBook's default
settings is
about 25 seconds per page.
Notes:
• The Visioneer OneTouch 9000 offers a USB2.0 interface. Windows 98, ME,
2000, and XP are supported.
• In Windows ME and XP, OpenBook will not automatically recognize this
scanner.  You must manually select the desired scanner driver in OpenBook.
• If you use the TWAIN driver and turn color scanning on, setting the
contrast level to anything other than “Automatic” causes OpenBook to
generate errors
and shut down.  Use WIA drivers in Windows XP or ME to prevent this
problem.
• When using “Unknown TWAIN using: Visioneer Scan Manager Pro," sometimes
the external dialog is unresponsive when you activate the Scanning button.
• It is recommended that you download the latest version of
twainscn.ini
and save it to OpenBook's installation directory.  This updates OpenBook's

list of known scanners, which includes this scanner.
• More information can be found on the 9000 at
Visioneer's
website.
http://www.visioneer.com/

As I would be using either Windows ME or XP, some of the pitfalls
regarding
drivers would seem to be avoidable with this scanner.  I guess what I'm
thinking is, that for $37.50 + shipping, I could just about half my time
scan a page, provided I was happy with the scan.
I don't know anything about Visioneer and their products, as I've only
ever
used a couple of different HPs, a Canon, and an Epson.

Dave