[bksvol-discuss] Re: request of submitters

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 07:38:43 -0400

Hi all,

Larry, I think that what you say has merit, but I also think that there is a
real problem here.  The best way, of course, is to check the final copies for
errors, and to place this data as evidence.  It may be that a book can be
spot-checked and proofed in twenty minutes, but it is likely that there will be
errors  because of this time factor.  One thing that happens when you read a
book thoroughly is that you catch words that are scanos that are actual words.
These are not picked up by Kurzie or any other computer because they are real
words, spelled correctly.  Only a human reader can dicipher these.  Also, you
can do a search and Replace on headers on pages, but if you do that, then you
will be less likely to know if there are extra pages, pages which are supposed
to be blank, (these need to be noted), and finally, a computer is not going to
be able to find duplicate pages.  I don't care how careful you are, there are
the occasional duplicate page just simply because the scanner who is blind
can't figure out, or doesn't remember whether a page has been scanned before or
not.  All these things can only be found if the proofreader reads the entire
book.

Now, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.  I have a suggestion.  Let's
keep track of some of these jiffy scans and check the final copies ourselves.
If they're not up to par, let's submit book quality reports on them.  That's
the only way to fix this rampant jiffy proofing.

Ann P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT