[bksvol-discuss] Re: request

  • From: "Marissa Mika" <Marissa.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:11:16 -0800

It's my impression that this original thread was about whether or not a
scanning volunteer could split a scanning project with a couple other
Bookshare.org volunteers because of the size of the book. The answer to
that particular question is, please don't. We'd rather that the core
content of submitted books come from one source, rather than coming in
piecemeal from different scanners. It makes it easier for us to track of
submitters this way and the life history of the books on Bookshare.org.

The way I see it, supplying a missing page of content or even a
neglected chapter(usually provided by the original submitter or a
dedicated validator) is different from dividing the scanning efforts of
a book into three separate projects and then squishing them together for
submission. We need to keep track of essentially the two people who
touch the book--the validator and the submitter--in case there are any
quality issues, and if there are multiple people responsible for a
submitted file, this complicates that story.

Does this make sense? The bottom line is, what you're doing as a
validator is fine, I expect those of you in the Bookshare.org community
to help each other out if there are small sections of books that need to
be salvaged or scanned. Dividing the initial scanning effort, however,
is something that we want to shy away from because it makes it more
difficult for us to keep track of submitters.

Best,
Marissa