[bksvol-discuss] Re: reading 1776

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 19:12:24 -0500

Cindy,

Yes, it really works.  The page numbers aren't being stripped, but modified
to allow the DAISY readers to recognize them.  From what I understand, the
problem is that not all DAISY file readers are being designed to easily show
page numbers if a person wishes to see them.

As for leaving a blank line between a header/footer and the main text, I've
never left out the blank line between a header/footer and the main text for
two reasons: I think it looks better with the blank line in there, and, more
importantly, other volunteers have warned that leaving it out will cause
problems with the Stripper recognizing the page number.

As for whether or not to put a blank line between a header/footer and a page
break, I haven't noticed that it makes a difference to the Stripper, and
leaving the extra blank lines out appears to cause the Bookshare tools to
append the page number to the front of the following paragraph when creating
the HTML file that is unpacked from the BKS file.

HTH

Gerald