[bksvol-discuss] Re: rank spelling

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:09:17 -0500

Hi Nancy.

I'll try to give you some tips about learning to use ranked spelling. As usual, mine is not the only way to do things, it's just the way I do them.

The first thing you may want to do is to tell k1000 to ignore proper names. (They clutter up your list, and you can deal with them later.)

So, first in the ranked spelling dialog hit tab until you hear "properties" and hit enter or the space bar. This will give you a few items which you might wish to change in ranked spelling. Most of the options pertain to prefixes and suffixes which you may wish ranked spelling to ignore. Don't worry about these, most of them won't effect the outcome of your ranked spelling list. However, the first item you are presented with is whether or not you want to check or ignore words with an initial upper-case letter (proper names). Initially this is set to accept (meaning check them), press the down arrow to ignore proper names. and tab to "ok" and press enter. You are back in the ranked spelling dialog. However, you'll have to tab to the apply button and hit enter to tell k1000 to re-tabulate your list, and this time all those Jonas's will be gone.

Here are a few tips for getting around the dialog. At every button or list you can hit f1 to give you some great help in dealing with that item. If you ever want to repeat what is said, you can press f7. If you want to spell a word in the misspelled words list, or the suggestions list, you can press control l to have the word spelled.

When you find a word that you know is correct you can either add the word to the word list, or ignore the word throughout the document. I prefer to ignore the word throughout the document.

Let me say a special word about "editing" a word. When you hit the "edit" button, the system puts you back in the book pointing to the first occurrence of the offending word. You can then see the word in all its context. And, if need be, you can correct it. Usually, where there is one scanning error, there may be several around it. This way you can fix them all in one fell swoop. Once you've finished with that part of the book, you can hit f3 to go to the next occurrence of the offending word, and do the same thing. Once you've dealt with all the occurrences of the offending word you can hit escape and you are placed back in the ranked spelling dialog.

There are mnemonics for all these commands, but I can't tell you what they are because I hate mnemonics, so I'm forced to tab around the dialog a lot, wasting valuable time. But, ... what can I say?

I hope this helps.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "NANCY M HILL" <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx>