[bksvol-discuss] Re: quotes, single & double

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:02:18 -0500

You can turn punctuation off with screen readers, so that it just
gives the proper inflection, or you can choose to leave punctuation
on, which would announce everything, not a good thing when you're
reading a novel. This quote thing has really thrown me too, because
now I've discovered in notepad that it only says quote, whether it's
single or double, and the only way that I can tell if the wrong quotes
are there is if I send it to my braille lite. Now in Open Book, it
says an apostrophe is a single quote, and a shift-apostrophe is a
double quote. But you couldn't do a mass replacement of single quotes
with double quotes, because it would then replace all of the
apostrophes. Is there another way to do single and double quotes on
the keyboard other than apostrophe and shift-apostrophe?

I'm slinking back to scanning mode for now rather than validating,
this is getting too crazy. The only reason I was validating before was
to try and put a dent in the backlog. I won't submit anything though
until we get a smaller list. In the meantime, I will scan and make
corrections so that I should be able to submit easy validates.

Pam