[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about proofreading

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 04:56:48 -0800

Hi Terra,

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to download the entire scanning and
proofreading manual.

However, if you'll tell us what software you'll be using for proofreading,
we can help get you going in the right direction.  There are documents that
you can copy and save to your computer that give very specific instructions
for proofreading using Kurzweil 1000 and Microsoft Word to which there are
links in the proofreading section of the scanning and proofreading manual.
Those might be your most concise form of instruction for proofreading.

As for enlarging and bolding the fonts of headings, we do this using the
formatting dialogue of your editing software.  And as to why: we do it so
that when folks are using either the daisy or xml files of books on
Bookshare, they can move easily between chapters and/or sections of books.
There are instructions for how to do this in the documents I mentioned
above.

Please don't let this stuff discourage you, if it seems complex.  It
involves a lot of words to explain, but in the end, the processes aren't
difficult at all.

If you'll let us know what software you'll be using to proofread, we can
help you better.

It's great to have you join us!

Mayrie

  _____