[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about pictures and admin approval

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:07:46 -0700

Kurzweil doesn't keep pictures.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Smith" <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:45 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about pictures and admin approval

Denise, I'm curious about this as well, so hopefully those with answers
will respond to the list. What software are you suing? I was under the
impression that Kurzweil and OpenBook did not keep pictures. I
understand that they will keep images of the scan, but I didn't think
that they kept pictures, if there were any in the book.

Melissa

Denise Thompson wrote:
Hi All

I just had a book rejected because it had pictures. I didn't know they
were there of course, but according to the message I recieved, in web
view they show up. I did delete some as I wentalong when it was at the
top of the page or the bottom and I encountered them as I was working
on headers or page numbers. I knew some objects were in the book
because when I opened it each time to scan more pages, it would open
in Word and say that the document has such and such number of objects.
I have some questions related to all of this that perhaps some of you
can help with.

I know that the last two books I've scanned and submitted were the
same. They also had "objects" in them. Both of those books were
approved. So that makes me wonder if the other proofers deleted the
pictures or whatever the objects were before submitting for admin
approval or were they just passed. Anyway that leads me to my next
thought and that is why this proofer didn't delete them or maybe the
proofer is totally blind like me and didn't know they were there. So
is there any way for those of us who can't see where the pictures are
(unless our cursor happens to fall on one) able to find the objects
and get rid of them?

Also, if there are pictures there, why can't the book be saved and a
daisy with pictures and them the pictures deleted and saved as a daisy
without pictures. If books with the pictures are saved then a copy is
made without pictures, isn't there someway the pictures are stripped
in which case can that  be done with the books that those of us submit
who don't know the pictures are there. The suggestion by the bookshare
team was for me to rescan the book with no pictures checked and
resubmit. I looked through Open Book and don't see anywhere that I can
check not to have pictures scan. I'm curious also because I thought
when you saved a book as a text or RTF file most attributes were lost.
why does it retain the pictures?

As you can see, I'm full of questions. If this is too much and you
want to contact me off list, that's fine.

Denise

At 10:11 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
New and Recently Released!

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd - edited by Holly Black and
Cecil Castellucci
Publisher: Little, Brown
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/01/2009
ISBN-13: 9780316008099
ISBN-10: 0316008095
Short Stories. Geeks get a lot of guff for being so devoted to their
(often admittedly obscure) interests. But, as evidenced by the
popularity of the authors
broadcasting their geek pride in this collection (click the Table of
Contents link to check them out), geeks also write bestselling books.
Now, the nerdy
have their very own short-story collection in Geektastic, which
delves into a variety of geekdoms from Star Trek to online gaming to
The Rocky Horror Picture
Show, astronomy, cosplay, Comic-Cons, and more. Alternately
heart-wrenching and hilarious and interspersed with comics such as
"What Your Lunch Table Status
Means" and "How to Identify the Living Dead," these 15 stories will
appeal to anyone with an unbridled passion.
Table of Contents

Just Another Hero - by Sharon M. Draper
Publisher: Atheneum Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/23/2009
ISBN-13: 9781416907008
ISBN-10: 1416907009
Fiction. It's senior year for the group of friends that readers met
in The Battle of Jericho and November Blues, and there's a lot going
on. Arielle's rich
stepfather is turning out to be a controlling bully; November has
returned to school after giving birth to Josh's baby; Kofi is
MIT-bound but has a disturbing
secret problem; Jack is acting crazy as usual; and a rash of thefts
at the school has everyone on edge. But no one expects the terrifying
situation that
concludes this final volume in the trilogy--and someone will have to
step up and be a hero. If you like realistic characters and plenty of
drama, be sure
not to miss Just Another Hero.
First Chapter

The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon--and Me,
Ruby Oliver - by E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/28/2009
ISBN-13: 9780385904377
ISBN-10: 0385904371
Humorous Fiction. Lovably neurotic 16-year-old Ruby Oliver is still
struggling to deal with life, boys, and panic attacks in this 3rd
book to feature her
(after The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book). She kind of likes her
chemistry lab partner, Noel, but her friend Nora liked him first. Her
ex-boyfriend Jackson
is acting like he might want her back, and both college-boy Gideon
and soccer-stud Finn seem to be sending romantic signals, too. On top
of Ruby's troubles
with boys and friends, she's been fired from her job at the zoo--and
she's got a bake sale to run. Complete with quirky wordplay and
chortle-worthy footnotes,
this installment of Ruby's painfully hilarious saga is sure to
satisfy her fans.
First Chapter
Table of Contents

So Punk Rock (and Other Ways to Disappoint Your Mother) - by Micol
Ostow; illustrated by David Ostow
Publisher: Flux
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/01/2009
ISBN-13: 9780738714714
ISBN-10: 0738714712
Humorous Fiction. Guys in bands get dates. At least, this is Ari
Abramson's theory, and it's the reason he decides to form a ska/punk
band with his charming
but not-so-talented best friend, Jonas, and Yossi and Reena Gluck
(Yossi is the only person at their Jewish prep school who owns a drum
kit, and if he
joins, his sister Reena joins--that's the deal). But just as their
group The Tribe is becoming popular, tensions among the members and
the disapproval
of Ari's demanding parents threaten to rip the band apart.
Illustrated throughout with enlightening (and hilarious) comic art,
So Punk Rock "drums on the
funny bone and reverberates through the heart" (Booklist).
Rebels...with a Cause

Earthgirl - by Jennifer Cowan
Publisher: Groundwood Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 03/24/2009
ISBN-13: 9780888998897
ISBN-10: 0888998899
Fiction. After Toronto teenager Sabine (aka "Bean") Solomon gets
splattered with "McFatty meal" leftovers flung out the window of an
idling minivan, she
vaults off of her bicycle and gives the offending driver a piece of
her mind. Bean's eco-rant against the fast-food flinger soon shows up
on YouTube (a
friend recorded the whole incident) and her transformation into a
full-time eco-warrior begins. This debut novel includes posts from
Bean's blog--with
comments!--and crackles with sharp wit and romance. It also provides
solid, factual information on the state of the environment as well as
tips on what
readers can do to protect the planet.

Little Brother - by Cory Doctorow
Publisher: Tor Teen
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 04/29/2008
ISBN-13: 9780765319852
ISBN-10: 0765319853
Fiction. Computer hacker Marcus spends most of his time outwitting
school surveillance until the day that San Francisco is bombed by
terrorists--and he
and his friends are arrested, taken to a secret prison, and brutally
questioned for days. When they release Marcus, the authorities
threaten to come for
him again if he breathes a word about his ordeal; meanwhile, America
has become a police state where everyone is suspect. For Marcus, the
only option left
is to take down the power-crazed Department of Homeland Security with
an underground online revolution. The Los Angeles Times calls this
scary and technologically
riveting book "pretty freaking cool."
First Chapter

Quaking - by Kathryn Erskine
Publisher: Philomel Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/21/2007
ISBN-13: 9780399247743
ISBN-10: 0399247742
Fiction. Matt (not "Matilda," and definitely not "Mattie") is a
smart-mouthed Goth girl who has been shuttled from one foster home to
another for years.
She doesn't allow people to get close to her, since in her experience
that leads to getting hurt. Now she is moving in with yet another
foster family,
and they are Quakers who are active in the movement against the Iraq
war. Matt tends to run from her fears and problems, so she at first
thinks her foster
parents are crazy for confronting war supporters in their small town.
But when the school bully and a fanatically pro-war teacher make a
target of Matt,
she may be ready to stand up for her beliefs for the first time ever.

The Gospel According to Larry - by Janet Tashjian
Publisher: Henry Holt
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 11/01/2001
ISBN-13: 9780805063783
ISBN-10: 0805063781
Fiction. Scary-smart high school senior Josh Swensen wants to save
the world--and to win the heart of his best friend, Beth. He's also
got more than one
bone to pick with American culture, which he sees as ridiculously
materialistic and celebrity-worshipping. So, he starts an anonymous
blog (calling himself
"Larry"), publishes "sermons" that rail against corporations'
manipulation of our lives...and becomes a celebrity whose legions of
fans are determined
to uncover his true identity. What's an anti-consumerist philosopher
to do? Left-leaning activists, fans of realistic characters, and
anyone who likes
a fast-paced, provocative read will love this book and will also want
to read the follow-up volumes Vote for Larry and Larry and the
Meaning of Life.
First Chapter
Supernatural Romance

Thwonk - by Joan Bauer
Publisher: Speak
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/06/2005
ISBN-13: 9780142404294
ISBN-10: 0142404292
Humorous Romance. When lovelorn 17-year-old A.J. McCreary, a talented
photographer, is assigned to snap a cover shot for the school
yearbook, she stumbles
upon a stuffed cupid who comes to life and offers her his assistance.
Despite the otherworldly archer's admission that he never quite gets
love spells
right, A.J. opts for help in the romantic realm instead of asking for
success in art or academics, her other choices. Soon, hunky Peter
Terris, A.J.'s
longtime unrequited love, can't get enough of her, which is
great...right? Readers of this hilarious riff on the adage "be
careful what you wish for" are
in for one fun and wacky ride through the world of high-school romance.
First Chapter

Need - by Carrie Jones
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 12/23/2008
ISBN-13: 9781599903385
ISBN-10: 1599903385
Paranormal Romance. After her stepfather dies unexpectedly, grieving,
phobic Zara goes to live with her grandmother in chilly, small-town
Bedford, Maine.
As she begins to make friends and attract the attention of several
local boys (including sexy Nick, who runs faster than any human
should be able to),
Zara notices something unsettling: she's being followed by a strange
man who leaves a golden, glittery trail everywhere he goes. To her
horror, she learns
that her stalker is a pixie king...and that if he doesn't mate with a
queen soon, the young men in Bedford will all be in terrible danger.
Fans of Melissa
Marr's Wicked Lovely will definitely want to read this creepy,
suspenseful, and action-packed romance.

Blood and Chocolate - by Annette Curtis Klause
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/14/2007
ISBN-13: 9780385904346
ISBN-10: 0385904347
Horror. It's the same old story; a young girl falls in love with a
boy her mother warns her against--except in this case it's because
the boy is human.
Self-assured, beautiful Vivian is a werewolf, and since her father
died a year ago, the adolescent males in her pack (called the Five)
have been in fierce
competition to take his place as its leader. But Vivian blames the
Five for her dad's death, and is sick of their careless endangerment
of the tribe and
their constant fighting. This makes her especially vulnerable to the
attractions of sweet, sensitive Aiden, a "meat-boy." Can he love her
if he finds out
what she really is?
First Chapter

Raven - by Allison Van Diepen
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 02/10/2009
ISBN-13: 9781416978992
ISBN-10: 1416978992
Urban Fantasy. High-school senior Nicole has been in love with Zin
since the first time she saw him dance. But even though Nicole feels
a connection between
them--one that helps her deal with her messed-up family life--Zin
seems determined to keep her at a distance. After she begins
performing in Zin's break-dancing
group at New York City's club Evermore, however, Nicole learns the
startling truth about him: he is one of the Jiang Shi, immortals who
feed on the souls
of dying humans. Are the feelings that she has for Zin really strong
enough to last...forever? Twilight fans who can handle something a
bit grittier will
appreciate the tantalizing romance in Raven, and dance aficionados
will love the detailed descriptions of the dance group's moves.
Don't judge a book by its movie!

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Brashares, Ann
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 09/01/2001
ISBN-13: 9780385729338
ISBN-10: 0385729332
As they part for the summer, four friends, Carmen, Lena, Tibby, and
Bridget, embark on a journey of self-discovery when they decide to
share an old pair
of worn jeans that were purchased from a thrift shop and form the
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
First Chapter
Eragon - Paolini, Christopher
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/01/2003
ISBN-13: 9780375826689
ISBN-10: 0375826688
When fifteen-year-old Eragon comes to learn that he is a gifted
Dragon Rider, he realizes that his destiny is to fight the evil
powers that will bring complete
destruction to the Empire and so leaves his quiet life as a farm boy
to succeed in his one true mission in life, in a deluxe edition which
includes a foldout
map, an expanded pronunciation guide, and an excerpt from the next
book in the trilogy.
First Chapter

I love you, Beth Cooper - Doyle, Larry
Publisher: Ecco
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 05/01/2007
ISBN-13: 9780061236174
ISBN-10: 0061236179
Recklessly announcing his love for the head cheerleader during his
valedictorian commencement speech, Denis Cooverman is inducted into
the wilder side of
youth culture by the object of his affection, who turns out to be
more than he bargained for. A first novel.
First Chapter
Watchmen - Moore, Alan
Publisher: DC Comics
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 11/12/2008
ISBN-13: 9781401219260
ISBN-10: 1401219268
As former members of a disbanded group of superheroes called the
Crimebusters start turning up dead, the remaining members of the
group try to discover
the identity of the murderer before they, too, are killed.

Coraline - Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russel
Publisher: HarperCollins
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/01/2008
ISBN-13: 9780060825430
ISBN-10: 006082543X
Graphic novel edition!  Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures
through a mysterious door in her new home and into a world that is
similar, yet disturbingly
different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in
order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.

signature database 4484 (20091006) __________

http://www.eset.com