[bksvol-discuss] Re: question on marking text

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:44:40 -0500

Hi Melissa!

I also think this is the best option. In talking books when there is an icon, they will speak it's meaning too, so that is why I think the bracketed explanation would work best here too. I also keep punctuation and math symbols off while reading for pleasure, only turning them on while proofreading, so I'd miss asterisks and similar symbols, since they would be ignorned by the synthesizer.

Debby

At 07:21 AM 4/12/2010, Melissa Smith wrote
I would say this is probably the best option. A book I recently downloaded from bookshare used several icons as they called them. They were symbols indicating jargon, exercises, technical information, etc. The proofer put in brackets what the symbol stood for. This was best for speech, and probably Braille, as the translation tool can only handle a few different symbols, and with speech, you can read with all punctuation turned off, which is how I prefer to read, if I'm not proofing. JMO

Melissa Smith

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>