[bksvol-discuss] Re: question on Complicated Books

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 18:06:44 -0500

I've never read any of the computer books, but I'd be sure to make a quality report on them. I hadn't thought about the publisher books using the fraction symbols. I'd be willing to bet they also contain m dashes, and smart quotes as well. Can Bookshare run a find and replace on these books to fix these issues? I think I've only read publisher quality books that were basic text, and not anything with fractions and the like in them.

Melissa Smith

On 5/7/2010 5:39 PM, Sarah Van Oosterwijck wrote:
Yes, just about all of Words auto-correction options are damaging to books that will go through Braille translation.

Also, the fractions and some other symbols would be an issue even if publishers donated books. I have found issues with electronic books many times.

I have been driven nearly insane by proper line brakes being missing from programming books, and books discussing a command-line interface. Is bookshare aware of this issue with many of the publisher donated books? I love that oreilly has donated everything they have, but sometimes wish publishers kept their books in a format that worked better for conversion.
Sarah Van Oosterwijck

http://curiousnetentity.com