[bksvol-discuss] question about "hold for"

  • From: Anastasia Saridakis <anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:51:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello fello volunteers,
If I hold a book for someone and they take it to validate, do they have a
certain  amount of time to do this or not?
Thanks you
Anastasia
anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx

Scott Blanks <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Just to be absolutely clear, the title
I was referencing in my last message
was Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk. I had placed the title on step one for
Lora, and she never had an opportunity to validate, because the book was
taken by someone else, as evidenced by the books in processing page. I've
already sent a message to Bookshare support to apprise them of the
situation. As I indicated in my message to BS staff, I strongly feel that if
people are found to be repeatedly violating this hold for request, they
should incur some sort of restriction, if not outright banning for a period
of time from the site. This is a strong volunteer group, and two of the key
elements to this strength are respect and trust. This is the fourth hold for
title which has been snapped up by someone, and I frankly will no longer
accept any excuse of the person not realizing that the book was a hold for.
Let's be real here, I placed the two magical, or maybe not so magical words,
hold for, at the beginning of the title. What must I do, write out a
paragraph? Something like, this title has been placed here to be validated
by so-and-so, please do not take this title out of respect for your fellow
volunteers? It's not as though there are a shortage of titles without the
hold for designation. 40 out of 530 meet that distinction, leaving over 90%
of the books at the disposal of the general volunteer community.

This is a galling situation, and one that causes me to question my
involvement in such an endeavor.

Scott