[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about a sentence

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:32:08 -0500

That's what I said. When the noun that is to be made into a possessor ends in an s such as the word hours in this case an apostrophe is added without another s following that. Actually, I seem to remember from my elementary school grammar classes that another s could be added optionally, but I have rarely, if ever, seen that done. Anyway, in the sentence in question that apostrophe is there making the community service the possession of the hours which would not make sense.

Roger Loran Bailey

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: