[bksvol-discuss] Re: quality of books

  • From: Pat Ferguson <fergent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:52:46 -0500

I probably shouldn't say anything, because I'mnot a volunteer, but I'm a payed member and will be for the rest of my life. <smile>

Rui, I can't agree with you more!

I do believe that the books are getting better, though, and it will be nice when all books have an excellent rating. <smile>

I hope the loving BookShare staff take this in the loving way it has been ment. I know it costs a lot of money to do this, but the staff will never know how much I appreciate being able to download books at my leisure.

Keep up the excellent work, Rui and Everyone! You are all loving! I mean that! <smile>

Thanks much.

Love and Blessings,
Pat Ferguson

At 12:00 PM 7/17/05, you wrote:
Hi again:

Let me point out something that I believe is critical.

It costs bookshare.org an average of $50 to add each title to the collection, (staff time, resources, etc)

This was stated by jim Fruchterman at the NFB convention bookshare users meeting on July 4.
Note: I didn't ask for any sort of methodology as to how this was calculated.

This # crystalized my resolve to "get it right the first time."
I always new that adding a substandard book to the collection only to have someone rescan it wasted staff and volunteer time that could have gone elsewhere.
But as we see, it also wastes outright cash.

I am not saying we shouldn't rescan fair books, that is why I have the fairbook list on my site.
However, going forward let's try to get it right the first time and not attack projects with the mindset of "someone can fix it later."
Because usually, someone never does and that book just sits there.

-- Rui BookshareScans http://members.cox.net/booksharescans