[bksvol-discuss] Re: putting a hold on a book

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 15:34:54 -0400

Dear Nancy,

Putting a hold on a book is an option Bookshare has given submittors who have
made arrangements with a specific proofreader in advance to proofread their
book. This is done for many reasons. Sometimes a proofreader has planned in
advance for someone to scan a book with the understanding the submittor will
write, Hold for Lissi or whoever,  before the title of that book when
submitting. The proofreader may have even mailed a copy of the book for the
submittor to scan. Sometimes submittors post a list of the books they will be
scanning to the volunteer e-mail group so that volunteers can request books
they'll enjoy proofing. Books can stay on the check in page for months without
being chosen for proofreading. Offering books to Proofreaders on list ensures
the submittor that an interested volunteer will grab up the book when it lands
on the check out page  so it will be added to the collection within a fairly
short time,, like in a few days to a week. . Many submittors and proofreaders
have, over time, become teams. For example, Evan Reese has offered to scan
holiday books for children for me to proofread. I know he has the expertise to
scan books for young children which are usually more challenging because of the
pictures, and varied fonts and layouts. He knows that when I proofread I read
the book cover to cover, that I do the maximum not the minimum before checking
in the book. Evan likes to know that his scans will be carefully proofread. We
believe it hurts Bookshare's reputation every time a user, whether a child or
an adult, downloads a book and finds it full of distracting, confusing,
unprofessional looking errors. When a title doesn't have a hold for, any
volunteer can check out a book, but the submittor can't know if that person
proofreads with care or not. Hold fors are a kind of insurance. They aren't
exclusive as those of us who use them are always happy to find new volunteers
we feel we can depend on.

To put a hold on a book, Hold for, the name followed by a colon is written by
the submittor in front of the book's title in the title field of the submission
form. Hold for does not have to appear in the file name.

Always with love,

Lissi