[bksvol-discuss] protecting chapter titles, adding page numbers to blank pages

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Vol Group <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:36:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi gang,

Someone asked me to speak about protecting chapter titles:
If there's a page number at the top of each page, there's no problem,
everything's fine.  If there's no page number at the top and the first word on
the page is not 'chapter,' then there's no problem, everything's fine.  But if
the very first word on a page is 'chapter,' then the stripper thinks that it's
a header (instead of the chapter title) and promptly removes the line. To avoid
this, just add a line with 'chapter' on it above the REAL chapter title, and
the stripper will remove the extraneous line, and everything's fine, the sun
will shine on everyone!

About blank pages in the middle of a book:
Please add the appropriate page numbers to all the blank pages in the middle of
your books.  Blank pages at the beginning, between the title page, copyright
page, acknowledgments, and all that, are okay.  But there's one type of Braille
machine (Kurzweil?) that deletes blank pages, so immediately the whole
numbering scheme gets thrown off.  Adding page numbers to blank pages prevents
this from happening, and it also lets people know that they are not missing a
page of text from the book.

Actually I think most people do a very good job at handling both these
situations, so I'm just blathering in general, not trying to criticize anyone
in particular.

Carrie

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs