[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofreading question

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:46:13 -0600

I always retain upper case chapter headings, but with the first sentence of the
chapter, I use discretion. I am a sighted volunteer, so if I am working from
the print book, I look at it and if it is what is called small caps, then I put
it to regular print. If one letter is bolded and the rest is not, I make it all
the same style so that the text readers do not pronounce it as two separate
words (any change of style triggers a separation for speech and is improperly
handled). If it truly is all upper case letters, I generally respected and
retain it. If I am the scanner, the first thing I do in FineReader Pro is to
remove any small caps, superscript, subscript, and underline in the advanced
font choices. That avoids confusion for my proofreaders, or at least I hope so.
Wink.

Valerie