[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofreading crisis kindly addressed

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:54:48 -0400

Dear Pavi,

Your answer to my concerns is more reassuring and promising than I ever hoped for! It feels so good knowing that even though the Bookshare staff has grown considerably, volunteers work and feelings are still given so much consideration.

I'm practically levitating with joy at the news the staff may be scanning books for volunteers to proofread in the future. Your industrial strength scanner works massive miracles in terms of quantity and quality of books scanned, but I know from experience that a dedicated proofreader will be rewarded by finding a few scannos to correct in them, and yet not be frustrated by lapses in text and page numbering which are frustratingly beyond repairing. If all of the volunteer's sighs of relief at this wonderful news were directed toward the Bookshare offices in Palo Alto, you just might be blown right over the Pacific Ocean!

Was it Mike who suggested comparing the number of errors the tools find in a submit to those found in the checked out book? He read my mind. That's a quantitative, unbiased way to measure how much a book has been improved, though many submits have been so carefully prepared scanned and pre-checked that finding the occasional mistake is no mean feat. I know it's a fine line between giving the volunteer community its head and micro-managing. And, no amount of rules and regulations substitute for the individual's ethical values. Those of us with years of experience may occasionally forget that what seems obvious to us is unchartered territory for newcomers. We wouldn't want the work of dealing with us to outweigh our contribution, either.

It takes quite a bit of initiative and planning to develop teamwork between specific submittors and proofreaders. Sometimes there's considerable investment in books and postage, too. Faith, risk, patience and practice are called upon as teams discover how best to complement one another's skills for the best productivity and enjoyment. Thank you for recognizing the value of such teams and allowing them to continue working together.

It's great that some members and volunteers got to meet you at the conference. You returned to the office to find quite a stir! Thank you for digging in and working so constructively with Carrie and then writing to the list on your very first day back!

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>