[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofreaders using speech

  • From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:48:49 -0500

Dear Nancy,
Smart tags are placed over names, dates, and other types of data in
Microsoft Word which allow one to perform certain actions. That's the
gist of it from Microsoft Word's help file. For example, if a smart
tag is placed over a person's name, clicking on it will bring up
options to add it to your Microsoft Outlook contacts list or copy
information from Outlook such as an address to Word. I personally have
never used smart tags and don't think they are necessary for
proofreading. Maybe others on this list have different ideas? There
are options to configure so that Jaws will not speak them. In the
Microsoft Word options dialogue, there is a view tab. the smart tags
option is a checkbox. In the Jaws verbosity menu in Microsoft Word,
there is an item called smart tags. Pressing space bar toggles it
between on and off. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need
more detailed instructions.
When I proofread, I standardize all paragraphs in the book to be
indented by 0.5 inches. I think this is the standard, but maybe others
do it differently. I actually use a combination of Word and my
BrailleNote to proofread. One disadvantage of Word for me is that font
changes and italics marks are not announced when I read line by line.
Pressing insert f on certain blocks of text will give me the
information, but it would be harder to catch errors or text that is
underlined or italicized.
A few weeks ago, someone posted to this list a solution for getting
Jaws to speak page breaks in Word by creating an entry in the Jaws
dictionary. Please let me know if you would like more information on
this. I have not been proofreading long myself, but these are some
things I have learned. Being on this list has been extremely helpful,
and I am always eager to learn more.

Chanelle