[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofing with PacMate

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 01:45:27 -0400

The braillenote does that as well. All I meant in my message is to leave the file in its original rtf format please. You will be able to read it in grade two and a word will expand into its letters without contractions when the cursor is on it. So you can correct letter by letter just fine. Braille works this way on both the pacmate and braillenote. Wonderful features in both cases.

E.

At 11:31 PM 5/27/2009, you wrote:
One of the neat things about the Pac Mate is that you can read an rtf file in grade 2 braille without altering the original file in any way. It has an on-the-fly braille translator in it which allows for reading in grade 2 braille while leaving the original file unchanged. It is one of my favorite things about the device. There is no need to read in computer braille. I have been proofreading Bookshare books on the Pac Mate for three years and after transferring the read files to both MS Word and K1000, I can say that the files are unaltered except, of course, for any alterations while I was correcting mistakes or any other changes that I myself made. (You do have to remember that if you type anything into the file, you must type in grade 1 braille, not grade 2. But you'll see any of your typing instantly translated into grade 2.) You can turn this on-the-fly braille translator off, but I rarely do.

As to Pocket Word, Things may have changed since I got my Pac Mate, and it has not been updated recently, but when I got it, Pocket Word had a file size limit which would not allow for reading any but very small books with it. On the other hand, as James Homme said, FSEdit handles rtf files.

The one thing I wish the Pac Mate could do that it cannot that the BrailleNote apparently can is show format characters on the braille display. I would very much like to have that capability on the Pac Mate--or to find out that I am wrong and that it will display those characters after all.

Evan