[bksvol-discuss] Re: problem with daisy book

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:34:46 -0500

Hi Judy. I was actually responding to Jill's question about whether the
engineers use screenreaders. You're probably right that she was referring to
another company though since I think she already knows about most of the
Bookshare staff. I should have read further back in that thread. :)

Hmm. I wonder how different speech recognition software would be if people
who actually need it were in charge of laying out its design and feature
set. I wonder about that with Freedom Scientific too, especially with JAWS
and Openbook since they are designed by sighted people. There are some
really basic things JAWS still can't do that I would think many JAWS users
would want if they knew it could be done. I have a list of scripts that I
add to my default scripts for JAWS every time I upgrade so I can have some
of these basic features. If I showed these to the development team at
Freedom, I wonder if they'd understand why these make such a big difference.

Monica Willyard