[bksvol-discuss] Re: pre-marking RTF files

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:11:11 -0400

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but I wanted to add my agreement to the messages from E, Kelly and Monica.

I keep wondering, though, couldn't a computer be programmed to look for, say, the word "Chapter" surrounded by blank lines and interpret that as an indication of a new chapter and then add in the necessary navigation marker? Why not the same procedure for "Contents", and other section headers? I don't understand the necessity for additional character strings on top of the heading indicators already in the book.

Certainly, the stripper doesn't seem to need special character strings to recognize and strip out section headings. Otherwise, we volunteers wouldn't need to protect them. True, it doesn't always do it reliably, but why not find out how it does that and start from there?

Evan