[bksvol-discuss] paragraphs revisited

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:47:14 -0600

Hi,

I'm proofreading a Patricia MacDonald book that I scanned using my
braille lite, and I got the paragraphs to display so consistently that
it's just like reading a book from web braille. Here's what I do in
case anybody else wants to do this with their books. First I go
through and replace extra linebreaks, like four in a row for example
withonly one linebreak. Then I do a search and replace for a period
followed by two linebreaks, replacing those with .para. Then I do the
same for a period followed by one linebreak, replacing those with
.para. Then I do a search for a quotation mark followed by two
linebreaks, replacing those with "para, followed by another search and
replace of a quote followed by one linebreak, replacing those too with
"para. Then, the last step, I go through and do another search and
replace, replacing each instance of .para with a period followed by
two linebreaks, and one more search and replace for "para, replacing
each "para with a quotation mark followed by two linebreaks.

Hope that made sense the way I explained it. It works great, since at
least with the braille translators that I use, two linespaces are
translated into the standard-looking braille paragraph.

Pam