[bksvol-discuss] Re: pages that won't scan right.

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:33:09 -0400

Hi, Jim. I know you've been scanning with Kurzweil for awhile, so if I cover something obvious, you can mentally discard it. (smile) I gave you my idea of what might have caused the page problem with your book, but I decided to paste that paragraph into this email too because it might help somebody else who is having the same problem. After that I'm including some ideas for preventing garbled pages in the future. First, as to the garbled pages, when I encounter one either while scanning or validating, I type qqq at the top of the page. You could use another letter though. The point is to have something unique that you can do a search for later. I have done this with Death On The Flop so I can quickly locate and paste pages into it when you've scanned them.

I have a hunch about what went wrong with this book. This applies to both Openbook and Kurzweil. Do you ever notice that during a scan that your scanner will make a sort of stuttering sound, almost like it's recalibrating itself and that that specific page takes a little longer to scan? My scanner does this maybe once every 70 pages or so. When it does this, I've noticed that the page it scans ends up being totally garbled. In fact, when I hear that sort of stuttery sound, I pick up the book and let the scanner do it's thing. That results in a blank page that I can easily remove. Then I put the book back on the glass and keep moving along. I learned this by trial and error because it's one of those little things that isn't written down anywhere.

As for preventing garbled pages, I do a few things to prevent it. First, under the settings menu in Kurzweil, I go to general settings and change the threshold setting to 98.5. I also turn on the ignore suspicious region option in the recognition settings to prevent stray characters like the ones in your scan of Death On The Flop. I hit ok and save this in my default settings file. Then you're good to go for future scans. What this does is lets you know if a page has scanned poorly, at less than 98.5 percent accuracy. The minute I hear that a page has scanned at 96 or 97 percent, I stop scanning and go to take a look at the offending page. Sometimes it's fine with just a few messed up words. But sometimes it's a garbled page, and I'm still near the right place in the print book, so fixing it is easier.

Next, before I scan, I turn to a page well into the book and use the optimize scan feature of Kurzweil. It usually does a good job of adjusting the brightness setting and such. That starts things off on the right foot.

The other thing I do once a book is scanned and before I submit it is to run the rank spelling tool under the tools menu. If it finds some really strange errors, or if it says my book is at only 96 or 97 percent accuracy, I know there's a good chance there is at least one badly garbled page. I play detective and go hunting for that page, using the page down key and read a bit from the top of each page till I find it.

I hope I've written something here that can be useful to someone. No one knows how to get a good scan until they've experimented and asked questions. If each of us teaches someone else, we make Bookshare a better place and improve the quality of the books in the collection. So if anything I've written here isn't clear or is wrong, please speak up. (smile)

Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.