[bksvol-discuss] Re: page numbers and real priorities

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:23:46 -0600

The purpose of page header/footer normalization is to enable the processor
to move the page number from the source file to the XML markup.  This
means that page numbers are removed from the body text of the book.  If
the Daisy reader/player worked correctly,  the user should be able to
query those page numbers, or have pages returned into the body text.
Unfortunately,  this seems not to be happening.
Kurzweil for example,  will not report correctly pages of books that were
originally created/edited/validated to contain preliminary pages.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/18/2008 02:25 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] page numbers and real priorities

I have been validating since late 2002. I have been dilligent about
page numbers, making sure they are there and protecting them. If they
are not showing up in daisy format or braille format this ought to be
a priority of bookshare engineering.

I attended last tuesday's discussion of engineering ideas for the
future. Page numbering is more important than any future ideas
brought up at that meeting as far as I am concerned. I do not know
the status of print page numbers in books in the general collection
for sure so please take that lack of knowledge into account. Accurate
page numbering is vital as has been discussed over and over again on
this list. They are part of accuracy. Accuracy is more important than
interesting ideas about searches or toolbars or social sites. Without
accuracy, the product the user gets will be inferior or unuseable.
Let's think about real priorities.

E.