[bksvol-discuss] Re: page numbers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:56:44 -0400

I would ask why it would matter if the page numbers are on the top left or the top right? When I read a book with synthetic speech I can't even tell whether they are on the left or right. The screen reader just goes ahead and reads the numbers and goes on. I have never tried reading a Bookshare book in Braille because my Braille skills are so poor, but if reading Braille on a Braille display is like reading Braille on Braille paper then I suppose you could tell the difference, but what difference would it make? Personally, if I was good enough at Braille to sit down and read a Braille book I think I would want the page number to be in the same place on every page so that I would not have to search for it and I am pretty sure that I would want it on the left. However, it still seems like one of those arguments that is illustrated by the story in Gulliver's Travels where a civil war breaks out over whether people should break their eggs on the big end or the little end. Since my screen reader does not let me know whether the page number is on the right or left I had not even thought about it until some question about it came up here and when it did I was very quickly reminded of those big endians and those little endians in Gulliver's Travels.

On 7/7/2012 9:58 AM, Kathy Novak wrote:
Cindy,
Since pages of text are supposed to be linked to the same page number in the Bookshare file--the go to page feature, I put the numbers at the top of pages, top left for even numbers, and top right for odd numbers.
Kathy Novak