[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot thunderbird is accessible

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:56:20 -0700

Roger,

This is probably the kind of problem that is very difficult to diagnose without being there...

However, you can find the folder where your Outlook Express mail would be going to if it is going anywhere by selecting the tools menu in Outlook Express, going to Options on that menu. A dialog will come up. One of the tabs on that dialog is Maintenance. On that dialog, select the store folder button. That will show a dialog with (probably a very long) folder name that likely begins with C:\documents and settings

Go to the folder specified and if there are large files there, then you got far enough in the setup that it is accessing your email and storing it there, just something went wrong in how the email is displayed. If little or nothing is there, then you can probably ignore the compact folder messages.

Misha

As long as the subject of email clients has come up maybe someone can explain something to me. When I first got Internet access I started out with AOL as my ISP. As soon as AOL changed their rules that made it easier to drop them and still use their email I did drop them and signed up with another ISP. I had been loathe to do that before because my AOL email address was registered in so many places. After dropping them, though, I continued to use the AOL software for my email. It was all I had known and it was working perfectly well for me. I did have Outlook Express on my computer, but I had always ignored it. Then about a year ago I set up a Gmail account. While reading the instructions at Gmail I learned that I could have my email from there delivered to Outlook Express. I am using my Gmail account to receive messages from various Yahoo groups that are not particularly time sensitive for me, so they tend to pile up. I tried my best to follow the instructions but I never did manage to get my Gmail to show up in my Outlook Express. I finally gave up and went back to ignoring Outlook Express. However, since that time I have logged on to my computer several times and received a message that Outlook Express is full and that it can compress messages to save space. I click the prompt to compress those messages, but when I look in Outlook Express it always appears to be empty. I just wonder if emails are piling up on my hard drive that are somehow invisible to me and taking up space that will slow down my computer. If they are I haven't figured out how to detect them or how to do anything about them. Does anyone know what is going on?

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end. " Leon Trotsky The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com <http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot thunderbird is accessible Date: 9/5/2009 2:47:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: gstweedy@xxxxxxx Reply-to: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I am always a bit fearful to do new things like that for email wow. I've
heard it's good though.