[bksvol-discuss] Re: o.t. purchasing scanners

  • From: Shane Christenson <drummershane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:27:12 -0500

Hi there, monica. i own both a cannon and an opticbook scanner. For books, I prefer the optic book, as it's a book-edge scanner that allows you to put the book a page at a time on the scanner glass, and allow the other side of the book just to hang off the edge. This is good for times when a book's print is close to the inside binding of the book, so that the scanning mechanism picks up the entire page without having to press down on the spine of the book. If you don't mind pressing down on a book's spine, then one of the epsons or cannons should work well. The optic book has a price tag of around 240 dollars, give or take a few. The cannon or epson flat beds will run anywhere between 50 and 80 dollars for a really good one. i hope this helps your decision making.

Shane
At 10:27 AM 10/20/2007, you wrote:
Hello list. I had a question about scanner preferences. I had recently bought, but have not taken out of the box yet, an HP 5590. I will be using Kurzweil 11. In my recent discussions with some tech folks, they had told me that the HP doesn't allow you to change the brightness setting. They suggested that buying an Epson or Optic book would be better. My computer instructor is not a Kurzweil expert. So, I pose the question to you. I can return my HP and buy either an Epson or OpticBook. I do want to get the best results possible. Or I can keep my HP but have to download the commercial drivers? Any thoughts. Thanks again for all of your help.

Monica Svopa