[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot: dyslexia was Re: Re: Table Of Contents

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:02:08 EST

I have an acquaintance who is severely dyslexic and she says that maps are
completely useless for her. She also says that when she is given directions
it does not help to speak in terms of east and west and left and right. It
is necessary to speak in terms of a red house followed by a white house with
abush beside it and etcetera. It is interesting that she was once reading a
lengthy passage from a book to me and she seemed to be reading perfectly
well to me, so I commented on the fact. She said that she does a lot of
guessing and it only messes up for her when it is most important for it not to
mess
up. I do know, though, that she has gotten lost when traveling locally and
often goes pretty far out of her way in order to take the route she has
memorized and she attributes all of that to her dyslexia.

                          "I have no country to fight for; my country is
the earth, and I am a citizen of the world." Eugene V. Debs

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot: dyslexia was Re: Re: Table Of Contents
Date:
11/6/2009 2:50:13 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I think having difficulty orienting oneself, i.e., knowing what is east and
west, etc., is a fairly common thing, perhaps. I have to remember that
(where
I live, west is where the ocean is and north is where the mountains
are--other I would have no idea. My daughter can't read a map. she even got
lost
leaving
the airport driving a car that had a map and navigational system;  I also
tend to think that north is up--or up in relation to a map--i.e., living in
Los
Angeles, I know that Sacramento is north and our home in L.A. is north in
relation to  San Diego. When we're driving  home from San Diego,  I know
we're
going north--but I could not understand one time that because the freeway
curved at one point we were no longer going north but were going west. We
were
still going straight on the road--we , i.e., the car hadn't made a turn; we
were tstill going straight on the freeway as we started.hadn't  My husband
had to point out to me that we were driving
the setting sun, and it  doesn't set in the north. grin
Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and
books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: