[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot Please sign the Web Braille Petition

I'm with Scott on this one. I also think we can turn this into something positive if we choose that. This can be a time to introduce people to Bookshare, educate the public about the needs of blind readers who use WebBraille and Bookshare, and to advocate for access to books with programs with dignity and respect. We could even use this opportunity to get increased funding for both WebBraille and Bookshare expansion if we handle this well. Signing petitions with this type of wording, sending rude emails, and making threats against the director will only serve to harden NLS staff toward us and further inflame the situation. I agree that we need some solid answers. I also think it's important to be clear about wanting service restored and even writing letters to lawmakers if necessary. I would ask each of my fellow list members to consider President Theodore Roosevelt's strategy of "speak softly and carry a big stick." We don't have to be rude to be effective. We do have to be persistent and clear about the outcome we want to see. There is a high road here, with the posibility of a happy ending, and I invite you to join me in walking along it.

Monica
Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com