[bksvol-discuss] Re: opticbook and nass narkets

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:14:04 -0500

Hi Julia. I don't know if anyone answered you since I'm running behind on my
mail. We all have our own ways of doing things. This is what works for me.
For mass markets with the OpticBook, I use the following in Kurzweil 11. It
can easily be adapted for Openbook if needed.

First, and I think most important, I scan in single page mode, using the
book edge. This is where the strength of the scanner comes into play. This
is why the scanner is worth its higher cost. Mass markets tend to have
writing that's close to the binding, and using two-page mode means you get
some shadowing or blurring of pages. No amount of holding the book flat for
two-page mode will totally remove this issue. The book edge of your
OpticBook gets right into the crease of your book, and that gives you a
nice, clean scan. I find that this saves me hours of clean-up time later.

Second, by default, under scanning settings I put the threshold on dynamic,
scanning brightness at 60, text quality is normal, and resolution is at 400.
This changes to 300 if scanning large print.

Under the recognition tab, detect columns is on, partial columns are kept,
de-speckle is disabled, and suspicious regions are kept. These are my
baseline settings. I use these by default because they work more often than
not. However, they are just my foundation, and I change them when needed.

I optimize each book once, using a page toward the middle of the book to
make sure it has normal print on it. I don't optimize with the cover page or
table of contents since those tend to be in a different font and point size.

Finally, under the general tab, my confidence threshold is set to 98.7%.
This is used when optimizing and when Kurzweil lists poorly scanned pages
for you later, so this number does seem to matter. Setting it for 100% isn't
useful because there will always be words and names Kurzweil doesn't know.
That would force it to declare every page with a word it doesn't know as
poorly scanned.

Once you have optimized for your book, be sure to save the settings so you
can load them if you have to close Kurzweil or restart your computer. That
way your scan will be consistent. I give my settings files the same name as
my book, and that makes keeping track easy. I periodically delete the
book-specific settings once a book has been accepted on Bookshare.

I hope this helps. If not, we can talk on Skype if you like, and we can see
if we can figure out what's going on. My Skype user name is rhyami

Monica Willyard