[bksvol-discuss] Re: opinions on blank pages wanted

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:21:31 -0600

Engineering has said that the Stripper doesn't always produce the correct
DAISY tag for pages without page numbers, so it is best to add a page number
to pages which are blank.  That way the Stripper doesn't have to decide
which page number to put in the tag for a blank page.  If the Stripper
produces a tag based on the wrong page number because it has done a ppoor
job of keeping up with which page number is next, then it can create a
duplicate page number which could cause confusion or possibly an error if
someone tells it to go to the page number which is duplicated.  The bottom
line is that it is best to add the page number to blank pages to help the
Stripper, but doing so also has the added benefit of making the page no
longer blank which can protect against software packages which discard blank
pages.

HTH

Gerald