[bksvol-discuss] Re: old books on step 1

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:10:43 -0600

Elizabeth et al,

Again this message not directed at any one person:

If Gustavo says something like:

Please verify title.

He is saying, hey you probably made a mistake. You either need to fix the error, or defend your position. The same for other fields. Also, all volunteers should remember to be as specific as possible. Things like:

"I verified the title"

or

"Copyright verified"

or

"author checked"

Probably are not going to get you too far too fast. Tell him what you did, did you check on Amazon? Did you check on copyright.gov? If you checked on Amazon consider giving the URL, or if on the LOC website copying the appropriate record into the field. This helps show him that you understand what you are talking about.

Some volunteers get so involved with correcting scanos and fixing up books that they forget the primary purpose of validation. That purpose is to check for a few specific things. Among them that *ALL* information on the forms is correct. If there is a kick back 9 times out of 10 the validator seems to be at fault. I have seen titles where validator claims to have verified copyright, yet Gustavo correctly kicks it back again because the validator did not do it properly. There are repeated submitters out there that nearly always incorrectly fill out the copyright field, yet validators continually attempt to validate these books without updating the field....it really makes me wonder sometimes. If you're reading this and saying that's not me, really really, pay attention the next time to how diligent you are about checking the fields, as I have seen some very unlikely people making mistakes.

I also encourage all volunteers to reread the validation instructions and the tip "guidelines for submission fields" from time to time. You would be surprised what you probably are unaware of. For instance I see lots of people include titles like Ph.D. or forget to put the word editor in parenthesis.

If you have particular instances where you do not understand what Gustavo is attempting to communicate you should either ask onlist or offlist with one of the list monitors...we'll do our best to explain it.

HTH,
Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth and Burton" <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>