[bksvol-discuss] Re: not saved in rtf?

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:07:30 -0500

Hi, Bob. What you're describing is a bug that seems to crop up sometimes but that doesn't happen consistently. That's why it's been tough to fix for good. Some of us have started using a work-around. People often use the WordPad program that comes with Windows to do a quick save on a file if it won't upload correctly. It is annoying to have to do that last step. As far as I understand it, it's caused by something in the way rtf files are saved that the Bookshare validation tool doesn't like. It doesn't happen on everyone's computer and doesn't occur on every file. Because I don't like the hassle of finding out which files are affected on my machine, I just run my file through WordPad or Microsoft Word as a last step before uploading. I made an AutoHotkey script that does it for me when I press a keystroke. My script opens the selected file in Word, inserts a blank line at the top, deletes the line, and saves the file. Then it opens the Bookshare website, logs me in, and gets me to the step 2 page. Yes, that's because I'm lazy. (smile) I know that the Bookshare tools are being upgraded. I hope there will be a fix for this bug on the Bookshare end.

Monica Willyard

Bob wrote:
Hi Siobhan.

If you will send me the book, I'll fix it in word and send it back to you. It'll probably be late this evening or tomorrow morning, though.

Does anyone know if this problem exists if someone gets a .kes file from the site, edits it in Kurzweil, converts it to .rtf in Kurzweil, and uploads it?

Otherwise, how can anyone validate with Kurzweil alone?

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>