[bksvol-discuss] Re: new wish list fiction requests

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:39:45 -0700

Hi, Cindy, I would call it a fantasy/romance or a romance/fantasy depending
on which is more predominant. Of course this is a judgment call. The problem
with categorizing anything is that you will find items that have a little of
everything in them. If all this fails and you don't wish to class it as
slipstream (what a convenient name for books which defy category makers),
you can throw up your hands, don't think about it, and do something less
stressful. Good luck and best regards, Kim

  _____

From: Kim Friedman <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 9:38 AM

Hi, Cindy, I've noticed that their are books I like which fall into multiple
categories. Take for instance what you said about Deanna Raybourn. I agree
there are definitely mystery plotting elements in her books. Also, I see a
bit of fantasy in them, but no magic to speak of. Cindy, I really don't want
to give anything away to detract from your reading pleasure, but I can say
the hero of these books is quite different from the run-of-the-mill
Victorian gentleman (or is he a gentleman?) Ms. Feehan's books are romances,
but they involve people who are different, either by not being quite human
due to an ability that humans don't generally have (shape shifting or having
to sustain their lives by dieting on blood), or they may have some magical
ability. I haven't seen any book by her where both protagonists are common
ordinary people. Other authors who mix romance with other genres are Susan
Krinard, Maggie Shayne, and Catherine Asaro. I wonder what new permutations
the romance novel will add. Just for curiosity, is there a romance/horror
mix (shudder)? What will authors think of next, I wonder? Regards, Kim.

  _____

From: Kim Friedman <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: request
To: "'Cindy'" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 1:10 PM

Hi, Cindy, I saw to my delight that the first two books in the Study series
by Maria V. Snyder, i.e., Poison Study and Magic Study are in the Bookshare
collection. Did you know that Ms. Snyder has written a third book in the
Study series, i.e., fire Study? I confess I heard the first book on XM
satellite radio and had help downloading the other two books in the Study
series. I can assure you they are interesting. Another author you might like
to add to the Bookshare collection is Deanna Raybourn. I mention this for
the benefit of other people. They may like these books. (Since I've joined
audible.com, I plan to have help downloading unabridged stuff that isn't
available anywhere else.) Also, do you have plans to add all the other books
in the Dark series, the Leopard series, and the seventh book in the Drake
Sisters series by Christine Feehan? Yeah, Cindy, my completist soul is
yammering at me again. C'est la vie. Take care and best regards, Kim, quiet
kibitzer and Bookshare fan.

database 4240 (20090713) __________

http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset..com>

database 4242 (20090714) __________