[bksvol-discuss] Re: new concept (sort of)

Hi. There is a reason for not quoting the full original message. It is a waste of bandwidth. In other words, people have to download a lot of extra junk not at all related to the reply. There is generally no good reason to include the same "original" message with two or three replies. In undeveloped countries, some people still have to pay by the minute. We are fortunate in the US because many people have broadband but many still use dial-up. If there is a bunch of extra quoting, it can take an extra minute or several minutes to download the waste. However, you do bring up a good point which people have also overlooked lately. There is generally no need for someone to just post a "I agree" message unless they have something more substantial to add. The list headers are longer than the reply, which also causes more waste.

I am not trying to pick on anyone here since I know many people do quote the full original message and that is now preferred by the majority. I am simply trying to explain why some people don't do it this way. When the new off topic list is created, those people can post their original messages to their heart's content with no problem, but for now if it isn't somehow related to books or bookshare, please don't post long replies with lots of overquoting here.

At 11:15 PM 5/31/2005 -0700, you wrote:

I have noticed in the short time I have been on the list that some responses
are....
"I totally agree" or "I have done that" with not reference to the original
post. It would be helpful to have the original post included with the post:)

Tony Baechler Maintainer, goldenaudio.net (TM) online archives http://goldenaudio.net/