[bksvol-discuss] Re: new books and Daisy navigation, or lack of it.

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:49:48 -0700

Hi Rik!

Well, I'm glad you gave all of your info!  It helped, and I think I might
have a suggestion that will help with the Victor Reader Stream at least.

When you put Bookshare books into the DTB folder on your Stream, you need
first to create a folder named the title of your book.  Then, unzip all of
the Bookshare files into that folder.  Make sure you remove the zip file
from this folder if indeed you have it there.  Then, paste the folder
containing all of the files into your dtb folder.  The Stream needs all of
those files to give you heading navigation.  Did you perhaps just paste the
opf file into the dtb folder and none of the others?  I'm guessing, though I
obviously don't know, that that's why you can't navigate, because you're
missing the other files which contain the information necessary for the
stream to know how to navigate to the headings.

Why it works on the Book Port Plus and not the Stream, I don't know.
Perhaps the Stream has trouble with some of the PQ books, I haven't played
with one on my stream in a long time.

You can open the xml file using your internet browser, or can read using
Kurzweil 1000 by opening the opf file from within that program.

I don't think that the older Book Port will handle the publisher quality
books, or at least that's what someone, I think, said on this list.  The brf
files work on the older Book Port but don't have heading navigation,which is
what I think you were looking for.

And sort of finally, I don't know about FS Reader.  I've never used that and
can't speak to anything about that one.

And we've all lamented the lack of page numbers in publisher quality books,
but even people using Kindles or the like don't have them, and the benefit
of the quantity of books donated and their quality outweighs in many of our
opinions, the lack of page numbers.  I do agree it's nice to have them, but
it can't be changed, isn't the fault of anything Bookshare does in
processing the books, and I'm still really really appreciative that
publishers are donating their books for us to read, so I just add this to
the list of instances in which the world isn't perfect, and go on being
appreciative of the donations of so many many books for us to read that we
otherwise wouldn't have.

Sorry!  I didn't mean to rattle on!

Hope some of that helped you and if you still have problems, please, write
again and I'll bet we can figure out why you're having troubles, if not fix
them.

Happy reading!

Mayrie

  _____