[bksvol-discuss] Re: new books and Daisy navigation, or lack of it.

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:19:57 -0600

Oh dear.
I was away from this list too long.
I did not know of Kenneth Cross's passing.
I much appreciated his participation, and had read quite a number of Bookshare books that I had noted were his submissions. I did not know he was a professor either. Though I am not surprised. So sorry to hear he is gone.

Rik

-----Original Message----- From: Tracy Carcione
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 6:43 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: new books and Daisy navigation, or lack of it.

Kim, I totally agree.  I hear our old friend Ken Cross screaming from his
grave.  He was a professor, and he was adamant about the importance of
proper page numbering.  He led reading groups, and needed to, well, get
everyone on the same page.
I'd go nuts, if I were still a student, and the teacher said to read pages
X-Y, and I couldn't figure out where either X or Y was.
Tracy

Oh, yes, those were the days, weren't they? Yes, we were given page
numbers to read, so that amazes me, the obtuseness of folks who don't
realize the needs of those who will be reading the books. How are
students or working people supposed to do their work if they are unable
to cite page numbers in reports and the like? Just how are kids supposed
to do their homework if they can't find those page numbers? You write a
report, say, if you're a professor of anthropology or whatnot, if you
can't give proper citations, you'll be laughed at as a sloppy scholar.
Nobody will be impressed with the excuse that you didn't know what page
number the quote was on but it's there in the book. Regards, Kim
Friedman.