[bksvol-discuss] new books and Daisy navigation, or lack of it.

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:14:49 -0600

Hi vols,

This text below is a copy of a message sent to bookshare technical support.

I am wondering about DAISY navigation in some of the new books in the Bookshare
collection.

I was very pleased and excited to see a new book just added to the collection.
It says on the page that it was done by Bookshare Staff.  So I thought I would
just contact Technical Support, to see if I could learn, or to give my input.

Why do some books really have zero Daisy navigation?
This new book, that I just downloaded (Here Comes Trouble by Michael Moore),
really does not even have page navigation.

After the preliminary permission text, there is a link in Level 1 to "Begin
Reading."  And the next time I try to go to the next navigation point, it goes
to "End of text."

There are numerous examples of this in other new additions. With the earlier
books it is understandable. But now? Really?

This is way short of what we are capable of, isn't it?
We have the potential for 3 levels of Daisy navigation in many instances with
the various recent devices available. And to be really providing reading
materials, we should be able to access them as much as possible with sighted
peers, to go to pages, chapters, and so on.

So, please, let's see about doing this with newly added content to our
Bookshare Collection.

Thank you.
Richard James
one of the volunteers, maember since I think 2004 or so.
d28rik@xxxxxxx