[bksvol-discuss] Re: my tricks for SD cardsRE: Re: OT VR Stream--download...

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:01:00 EDT

I think you can, but I have never had reason to try, so I don't really know
how. If you think you can do it then try, but be sure to back up the
contents of your card first. This might also be a question better asked on the
VRStream users list.

                                                                  "Can a
nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: my tricks for SD cardsRE: Re: OT VR
Stream--downloading ...
Date:
8/12/2009 12:46:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
kelbycarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

A question.  I orgazize my Bookshare books on a Ghn in
sub-folders on my SD card.  I have quite a lot of books so this
really help.  Can you divide up books, say, alphabetically by
folder in the Vr stream also, or will that screw things up?

Stream--downloading ...

>The problem with placing Bookshare books in the text folder is
that they
>lose their navigability.  I ordinarily place them there myself
just as an easy
>way to seperate them from NLS and RFB&D books.  I usually read a
book from
>start to finish anyway, so I did not consider the loss of
navigability much of
>a loss.  However, in the Bookshare book I am currently on there
was
>something I wanted to go back to check and I just decided to not
bother because it
>would have been a bit too much trouble.  If I had placed it in
the DTB folder
>it would have been hardly any trouble at all.

"Can a
>nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot."
Vladimir Lenin

>                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
>http://www.pathfinderpress.com
>Granma International: http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
>                 _

>table with 2 columns and 6 rows
>Subj:
>[bksvol-discuss] my tricks for SD cardsRE: Re: OT VR
Stream--downloading
>NLS books.
>Date:
>8/12/2009 12:50:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>From:
>kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx
>To:
>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Sent from the Internet
>(Details)
>table end

>Hi, Lynn, I want to tell you what I do with SD cards on the
Stream.  Even
>though the Stream may not recognize them, you can if you wish
create
>sub-folders
>on your VRDTB main folder.  I say this because of my particular
mindset.  I
>made three main headings: fiction from NLS, non-fiction from NLS
and
>magazines
>from NLS.  Within the non-fiction and fiction folders, I have
genre folders,
>e.g.  cookbooks, psychology, romance, mystery, etc.  Are you
downloading
>Bookshare
>files in Daisy format or as brf files? If you are downloading
your stuff
>from Bookshare files in brf, you can place them in your text
files folder.  I
>don't
>see why you can't specify a folder as books from Bookshare.  The
main
>difference will be in what format you download Bookshare files.
On the BookSense,
>you would place Daisy files from RFBandD, Bookshare, and NLS on
one folder
>called Daisy Books.  I don't know what the stream does in this
instance.
>Also,
>you can label your SD cards.  If you write a label in the edit
field on your
>card, the Stream will read the label of your cards.  That is
another
>function
>the Humanware Companion will do for you.  I hope this helps you
in some way..
>Regards, Kim.

-----------
>----

books.

>Hi Kim,

>Thanks for all the information.

>I have many ...  a hundred or so ...  Bookshare books on my
Stream.  I just
>didn't know if I should create a separate folder for NLS DTB
books.

>I Went to the BARD site and downloaded two books, unzipped them,
copied
>them to my SD card and have read a little in my first NLS book.
It sounds
>great.

>My preferred media is Bookshare, but not everything is available
here, so
>have to read NLS books as a second option.  It's sure nice not to
have to move
>a bulky cassette recorder around though.  *smile*

>Blessings.

>Lynn I

>block quote

I was told
>to connect it to my computer via the USB plug that came with it.
I also had
>to charge it via the other cord that I put in the surge
protector.  If you
>put your SD card in your Stream, it will format your card for you
with
>folders
>designated VR audible, VR DTB, etc.  I also should tell you the
only thing
>you'll hear when the Stream is on is "Stream connected".  You
can't listen to
>your books if the USB plug is connected to your computer.
(lesson 1-1/2).  I
>don't know if you plan to use the Humanware Companion or not.  I
use it to
>transfer
>books from NLS from my Documents folder on the desktop to my
Stream.Some
>folks use it and I think if you don't want to do this, You can
unzip your
>downloaded
>files and do a cut-and-paste job and the file will be in the
proper folder..
>I suppose you can leave the file zipped and the Stream will open
the file
>for
>you.  If you wish me to go into excruciating details filled with
anecdotes,
>I'd be happy to oblige you.  Remember, I'm a non-technogeek-type
person so I
>can translate stuff into my own words and hopefully you will be
informed or
>at least have a good laugh.  Regards, Kim.

-----------
>----

installed it on
>my Stream.

>My question is: When I download my first NLS book, will the
Stream
>automatically create an NLS folder on my Stream or do I have to
create it myself?

>Thank you.

>Blessings.

>Lynn I

>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus
>signature database 4326 (20090811) __________

>http://www.eset.com

>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus
>signature database 4327 (20090811) __________

>http://www.eset.com

08/11/09
>06:10:00
>block quote end

>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus
>signature database 4327 (20090811) __________

>http://www.eset.com

>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of
virus
>signature database 4327 (20090811) __________

>http://www.eset.com

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! --
http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---