[bksvol-discuss] my thoughts on the hold for issue

  • From: "Jamie Prater" <jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:58:17 -0600

Hi, I'm not sure what the answer is. I know books need to move along and not
clog up the list.  I've seen the new volunteer materials clog up and linger on
all lists, the checkout list, the in process list, and the awaiting approval
list. If they get to that point, they need to go on ahead and download the
materials and do something with them. I've seen lots of stuff stay in the
approval queue and the in process queue, longer than they used to stay.  I know
people get backlogged, so is three months a reasonable answer, and if not, what
is? I can't throw rocks at anybody since a couple of months ago, I let some
things linger during a turbulent period of my life when life was too
complicated to work on anything, and one book in particular almost stayed too
long and I was glad it didn't overstay its welcome on the checkout list and I'm
glad I didn't miss it as it was part of a series.  I hope people who make up
the huge influx of volunteers really intend on moving through and volunteering
and not letting materials stay in one spot and never following through. If
everybody does, the possibilities will be limitless for all scanners and
proofers and readers alike.  I like the idea of books for new volunteers to
practice on and build their confidence levels up before tackling real books. My
first validation/proofing book was one I had read at least twice and was very
familiar with and it had very little to correct, so I just eventually read
manuals and learned by doing and part of the road was a bit bumpy and I made
people mad who thought I wasn't willing to read the manual, but I was, I just
had a job and a lot of other stuff going on.  I'm sure we can come up with a
workable solution and/or possible policy change.