[bksvol-discuss] mathematical symbols

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:54:02 -0800 (PST)

I thought I had a square root symbol but I can't find
it anywhere. I think when I validated something that
had mathematical terms I, too, wrote them out, except
for the Greek letter symbols, some of which I could
transfer onto the page and others of which I wrote,
e.g., Greek beta

I did find a site:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/MathSymb.html
--- maithe007 <maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

or tinyURL http://tinyurl.com/yu4vah

which gives the "appropriate control sequence" for the
symbol. Oddly, though, the square root symbol wasn't
on the page.

O.K.--google to the rescue. One person said to hold
down the alt key, press the numbers 251 on the number
pad and then release the alt key. That does not work
on my Mac keyboard. BUT!! I found that the funny
checkmark that has a dash on top of the short part of
the check is the keyboard symbol for square root. It's
made  on my keyboard by holding Opion (Alt?) and v, or
I can paste it in from the symbols table in the Insert
file. &#8730;

G.Cindy

G.Cindy

at