[bksvol-discuss] Re: marissa's list

thanks
I appreciate your patience.
Laura Ann
At 11:55 PM 8/16/2006, you wrote:

Laura Ann,

The book is checked by an administrator to insure that it meets Bookshare's Digital Rights Management plan, or DRM. The plan is explained on Bookshare's main legal page if you'd like to read it. Essentially what is checked for is to make sure that the scan complies with copyright law, as well as Bookshare policies.

Gustavo is currently the only admin. That's why you see all of the issues related to approvals addressed to him. You'd have to ask the staff why there's only one admin or why no else fills in for him when he's out of the office, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's the only one due to the current load not justifying paying for more than one person and that no one fills in when he's out of the office because they can't be spared from their normal work. Of course, that's only a guess.

I do know that volunteers aren't asked to help with approvals because they can't be held accountable for not doing the job properly since they aren't employees, and Bookshare's success relies on its reputation for insuring that books in the collection complies with copyright law.

HTH

Gerald

----------
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Agape Pet Sitting
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:40 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: marissa's list

So what happens once a book is out of step 2 and waiting for administrative approval?

Is  Gustavo  the only one who works on it in that faze?
or are there volunteers who do that step as well?

Just wondered how it worked.

Thanks
Laura Ann
At 07:25 PM 8/16/2006, you wrote:

Laura Ann,

Its difficult to say how often Marissas List gets updated. Gustavo is the one who generates the list by running queries on the database, and he has periods where he does it every week or two, and he has periods where he neglects to do it for a couple of months, or even longer. The Tech Advisors continue to ask that it be automated so we can get the info whenever we want, but thats more involved than just adding the two links for browsing the new books only in English or only in Spanish, and we havent yet been able to get Bookshare to add those links, despite the effort only requiring a few minutes work.

When Gustavo does take the time to run the queries, he e-mails the info to Jake, who posts it on his website.

HTH

Gerald