[bksvol-discuss] Re: m dash

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:46:22 -0500

A lot of the answer about this character depends on the software/equipment
you are using.  On the braille note the m-dash character may be treated in
at least two different ways.  Is it the display of a braille note that you
refer to when you say "in braille" there is nothing between the words?
My braille note will do that if I do not tell it to retain extended ascii
characters in that review options you get when opening a non-keyword file.
If it is told to retain extended characters it incorrectly displays a single
dash instead of the m-dash, but if you put your cursor on the supposed dash,
it will tell you it is really an M-dash.  They should really fix it, so that
it displays the double dash that is correct in braille.

If you want to make one on your computer you can use insert-4 if you have
jaws and choose it from the list.  If you can figure out any way to make a
real m-dash on your computer, the dash dash without any spaces between them
or the words around them will be acceptable.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net