[bksvol-discuss] Re: m dash

  • From: Noel Romey <ner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:41:09 -0500

an m - is the width of the print letter m, an n dash is the width of an n.  In braille it should be represented by a -- (dots 36, dots 36).  Does bookshare's translator do this?

Ner
At 03:44 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:

Yes,  a long dash or m-dash is a prettier version of the old dash-dash.  But you can't find one directly from the keyboard.  Some programs like MS Word, let you encode one by simply typing two dashes.  Yet I do not know how a long dash is reproduced in Braille.   but the text 'm-dash' is not what the braille decoder should put on a line.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Pam Quinn <quinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/16/2004 03:05 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[bksvol-discuss] m dash

In most of the books that I scan, I notice what says it's an m dash.
It should be the double dash, but this "m dash" when translated to
braille just shows the two words without a space or dash or anything
between them. Is there an m dash on the keyboard, and would I replace
it with two dashes, or would there be a space before and after the two
dashes?

Pam

Noel Romey
Arkansas, USA