[bksvol-discuss] Re: m dash

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:44:45 -0500

Yes,  a long dash or m-dash is a prettier version of the old dash-dash.
But you can't find one directly from the keyboard.  Some programs like MS
Word, let you encode one by simply typing two dashes.  Yet I do not know
how a long dash is reproduced in Braille.   but the text 'm-dash' is not
what the braille decoder should put on a line.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:

Pam Quinn <quinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/16/2004 03:05 PM
Please respond to

[bksvol-discuss] m dash

In most of the books that I scan, I notice what says it's an m dash.
It should be the double dash, but this "m dash" when translated to
braille just shows the two words without a space or dash or anything
between them. Is there an m dash on the keyboard, and would I replace
it with two dashes, or would there be a space before and after the two