[bksvol-discuss] Re: list archives and who can read them

  • From: "Laura Ann Grymes, LMT" <agape.wellness.massage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:35:58 -0500

Thank you that is the experiencde I also had.
This list is public and freely available for anyone to read on line if they wanted.
I for one think it should be private and hope Bookshare will look into this.

Laura Ann
At 11:22 AM 6/26/2008, you wrote:
Sorry to dispute Lisa F., but that is not correct. If the list archives were
private, posts from them would not show up as search results when one
Googled the list; I just Googled the subject tag of a list I'm on whose
archives are private (that list isn't a Freelists list), and no go. Further,
if it were private, one would be asked to authenticate their subscription by
being prompted to sign in with the email address with which they're
subscribed (since Freelists does not also require a password for changing
list options) before they could view them, which one is not prompted to do;
in the list I mentioned earlier, run using Mailman (in which one can specify
whether archives are to be public or private), I enter my subscription email
address and password to gain access to archives. With Yahoo Groups, for
example, one can specify whether list archives are to be public or
membership only, but even if they are public, one has to sign in to Yahoo
with a valid ID and password in order to gain access to them (for private
archives, one additionally must associate their Yahoo account with the lists
of which he/she is a member, which can be easily done upon subscription).
With Freelists, the only point in signing up seems to be that doing so lets
one create his/her own lists and update requests for lists for which he/she
is able to do so. Additionally, I've checked the list archives of a list to
which I'm not subscribed just now, and I had no problems doing so. If you'd
like to try it out for yourselves, go to freelists.org, and click on the
Archives link. You'll be presented with an alphabetical list of the lists on
Freelists, so click on one, and there you go. Just to be absolutely positive
that I was correct, I just unsubscribed now, checked the archives without a
problem, and resubscribed.

FYI,
Maria
Skype: MariaKristic