[bksvol-discuss] line breaks in Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

  • From: "Noel Romey" <nromey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:52:21 -0600

I downloaded, Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.  The book is in really good shape
as far as scanning, proofread spelling mistakes etc.  The issue with it
however is taht it's not got the typical paragraph markers put in like I'm
used to seeing when Kurzweil scans a book.  At the end of every line,
probably a line that might fit on the screen, there's a hard carriage
return.  Paragraphs are noted with a double hard charriage return.  I think
I can convert all double carriage returns to paragraph markers, and then
replace all hard carriage returns with a single space, but I'm worried that
this may be too "brute force".  I noticed the paragraph issue because when
lines are done this way, k1k, when commanded to pause at each paragraph,
reads very jerkily.  I worry that when the book is translated into braille
it will look very odd because it doesn't know when paragraphs begin, and so
will start a new paragraph (in braille) too often.

Anyone seen this?  How should I deal with it.

All the best.

Noel

P.S. there are 21000 or so hard returns in the document, so I refuse to fix
them manually <smile>.  I could say that having the book is better than all
the formatting, but not sure what everyone else thinks,  Have read some
books in the collection that have this problem also.